Fred Hayward ’58

Fred Hayward ’58

While I was a junior at CMC, two important events took place. 1st, I became engaged to be married during the summer between my junior and senior years. 2nd. I…

While I was a junior at CMC, two important events took place. 1st, I became engaged to be married during the summer between my junior and senior years. 2nd. I was elected President of the Student Body.

The latter part of my junior year, I was studying at a desk on the 3rd floor of Honnold Library, and at about 8:45 P. M. I was shockingly interrupted! My shock was in first seeing the blue uniform of a Police Officer. He dutifully confirmed my name and home address. The officer then wanted to know If on my return to campus from my home, I had driven down Gutierrez St.? “Yes! officer, that is my usual route.”

Now, the Officer became very serious, as he opened his brief case and pulled out a piece of cardboard with Gobs of grease, interspersed with some hair. He further explained that the grease/ hair sample had been taken from the underside of my car and that my car had hit and run over a young girl while she was playing on Gutierrez St. ‘By this time my adrenaline was going off the charts and I was on full alert. The Officer was polite when he asked me to stand, because he was going to need to put hand cuffs on and take me down to the Claremont Police Station. Upon arrival at the station, I would be allowed to place a phone call to an attorney.

The drive to the police station was rather short and of course I had never been in the back seat of a police car before, and I kept wondering if this was a very bad dream! Once at the station, it was out of the car while still handcuffed , while being guided into a large room with three jail cells. I was asked to step into an empty cell, and as the cell door clanged shut they told me that within the next 15 minutes I could make my phone call!

Only then, did the outer door burst open with dozens of my happy, laughing classmates —. all very eager to tell me that this very special ‘Engagement Prank’ was in place of the historical CMC engagement ritual — toss the guy into the Scripps College ‘engagement pond’.

This whole one time event was only possible because a few of my classmates were volunteers for the Claremont Police Department,

Read More CMC Stories…

CMC Stories >

Share Your CMC Story

Why is CMC special to you? Post your fondest memory and a photo. “Scroll down” memory lane with posts from fellow CMCers.

LEARN MORE >

Get Involved with CMC

Explore opportunities for learning, mentorship, support and giving.

LEARN MORE >