Slam Dunk

Kate Parrish ’21 developed a work ethic and made lasting friendships at CMC

Your content goes here. Edit or remove this text inline or in the module Content settings. You can also style every aspect of this content in the module Design settings and even apply custom CSS to this text in the module Advanced settings.

Slam Dunk

For Kate Parrish ’21, playing Division 3 basketball at CMC provided the best of both worlds.

“I was treated as a student first while also getting to play the sport I love at a competitive level!” said Parrish, a Psychology & Media Studies major, who played for the Athenas since her freshman year. “It was an incredibly rewarding experience.”

After graduating on May 15, Parrish begins a new chapter, as she heads to Austin to work for Dell Technologies. CMC, she said, has prepared her for this new chapter in life by helping Parrish develop her determination to succeed.

Along the way, she’s made lifelong friendships.

“I am continually impressed by the collaborative culture among students at CMC,” Parrish said. “The culture at CMC is students supporting each other and celebrating each other’s successes. This has made the learning and social scenes extremely enjoyable, and I think this is why we are such a tight-knit community.”

Hometown: Medina, Wash.
Major: Psychology and Media Studies
• Student-athlete
• VP, creative at Student Impact
• Marketing Associate, Claremont Marketing Group

That sense of community is what she was seeking when she first visited CMC and fell in love with the College. “I knew the small and intimate class sizes, combined with the uniqueness of the 5C consortium, would give me the close relationship with the professors and peers I was seeking,” she said.

Of Parrish’s professors, Kevin Moffett, who taught Parrish’s freshman writing seminar, “Post-Apocalyptic Narratives,” was a high point. “Prof. Moffett made the material so engaging and relevant, and it was clear to me that he truly cared about improving our writing, not only for the rest of our time in college, but for life after CMC,” she said.

Currently at home with her family of six in Washington state, Parrish has been impressed with how CMC “students and faculty have managed to come together and bond despite unimaginable circumstances. It shows the resilience and opportunism of our community and it makes me proud to be a part of CMC.”

To those who are just beginning their CMC journeys, she advised: “Enjoy every moment because the time flies by way too fast!”

—Anne Bergman

Read More CMC Stories…

CMC Stories >

Share Your CMC Story

Why is CMC special to you? Post your fondest memory and a photo. “Scroll down” memory lane with posts from fellow CMCers.

LEARN MORE >

Get Involved with CMC

Explore opportunities for learning, mentorship, support and giving.

LEARN MORE >