Fired Up to Create Change

First-generation student and CARE Center fellow Mohamad Moslimani ’21 made diversity engagement a top priority

Your content goes here. Edit or remove this text inline or in the module Content settings. You can also style every aspect of this content in the module Design settings and even apply custom CSS to this text in the module Advanced settings.

Fired Up to Create Change

Mohamad Moslimani ’21 knew he wanted to be a CARE Center fellow when he first visited CMC as part of a high school preview program. “A mere formality,” he said with a smile. A first-generation student and QuestBridge Scholar, he made diversity engagement one of his top priorities at CARE. Specifically, Mohamad helped peers organize monthly events on topics ranging from health care equity to embracing more inclusive family structures.

“Students were given full agency to design the space. We worked directly with an amazing staff to think about how the CARE Center could benefit everyone. In fact, one of my favorite projects was interviewing student fellows in order to gather constructive feedback on where we’ve been—and where we wanted to be going as an entire campus.”

“This community—administrators, faculty, the financial aid office, the CARE Center—helped me with everything I needed. And because I was given access to so many resources, I had to ensure that others have that same access.”

Mohamad admits that he came to CMC “pretty fired up” to create change in the world. Over time, his foundational relationships with students, faculty, and staff  helped him foster deeper trust and learning across differences, key tenets of the CARE Center. A semester with the Washington, D.C. Program also gave him a glimpse of life outside “the college bubble”—and how open dialogue and shared conversation can build important bridges.

“Through CMC, I’ve learned that you don’t have to change your beliefs, but you can be challenged to change how you express them. I’ve definitely become much more patient in my approach. Yes, you can talk and care about important issues quite passionately, but it probably won’t work to just charge in and tell people what to do.”

Being at CARE also meant a lot to Mohamad’s first-generation identity. As a student, his voice mattered at CMC—and he’s most proud of how was able to help peers with social and material support, especially through academic collaborations with the Center for Writing and Public Discourse, drop-in mental health counseling that removes stigmas and financial barriers, and CARE’s textbook rental program, a huge money saver to students.

“Once I came to college, I knew there was only so much I could rely on my family back in New York. I had to learn how to depend on CMC support networks. This community—administrators, faculty, the financial aid office, the CARE Center—helped me with everything I needed. And because I was given access to so many resources, now I have to ensure that others have that same access.”

Read More CMC Stories…

CMC Stories >

Share Your CMC Story

Why is CMC special to you? Post your fondest memory and a photo. “Scroll down” memory lane with posts from fellow CMCers.

LEARN MORE >

Get Involved with CMC

Explore opportunities for learning, mentorship, support and giving.

LEARN MORE >